Jun 9, 2008

Beach "Vacation"

I use the term vacation lightly, as most of you know or remember well what it was like to take small children to the beach. Last night we got home from an adventure-packed week-and-a-half trip to the Carolina coast. We started off the trip at Myrtle Beach, enjoying a lot of time with my mom's side of the family. Aunts, uncles, cousins and of course Nanny! We missed my mom's youngest sister, Shelley and her family this year as they are always such fun to be around. Some of the highlights at Myrtle were lunches at Mrs. Fish (if you ever go to MB, you have to try this restaurant), sunset dinners on the lawn and our "cousin's night out" which amounted to most of us cousins mustering up enough energy to take the twenty steps out to the beach and drink one beer, just to come back inside and go to bed. Getting old stinks! Some of my personal "non-highlights" were Max's desire to hit the beach at 5:30 AM toward the end of the trip and his constant motion. The little devil would run into the ocean ALONE, fall face first in the water, be tumbled two or three times, get up and look at me before giving me a evil, scary little giggle and do it all again. My other adrenaline junkie blew me away when she and I got to go on a date to Myrtle Waves and she rode EVERY SINGLE water slide in the park. I'm talking 20-story-high, pitch black tubes, corkscrews and drop-offs--everything. And most of them, she had to ride ALONE! Go here to see some of these slides--Especially Arooba Tooba and Turbo Twisters and Riptide Rockets. To my amazements, there was no height minimum?!?





On Thursday, Jack drove up and we all went to Sunset Beach, the southernmost beach in North Carolina. While not as hoppin' of a town as Myrtle, we still had a busy time. Sunset had wonderful tide pools which made for some fun beach time, although Max still preferred the big ocean. Kinsey became obsessed with playing "Pup-Pup". Take note of her wonderful form. And I do sense a competetive nature in this child. I do not know where it may come from, though! ;) Max did NOT appreciated the million-degree weather from inside his black suffocation unit. We also went to Barefoot Landing one night to see the tigers but ended up getting distracted by the bungee trampoline.







Now we are back home, readying for Kinsey's birthday party and Father's Day. I am so looking forward to every night this week because the kids will be at Vacation Bible School which leaves me in the most sacred place I know--a quiet house!

No comments: