Aug 15, 2008

I'm baaack and ready to...REST!

Sooo, a lot has happened in the last week, but not much that I want to remember. Actually some of it, I DON'T remember! Last Saturday I woke up with a headache, which I do not have very many of. I took some medicine and it went away. Good. Later that afternoon, the headache returned--uh oh. This time, I took stronger medicine--nothing. We had promised to take the kids to Stone Mountain to see the Laser Show, and being one who hates to break promises, I decided to "tough it out" and hope for the best. The headache never went away, but didn't stop us from having a good time. On the way home, the lights from traffic began to intensify the pain and by the time we got back to the house, I was in tears and couldn't even undress myself. I fell asleep while Jack put the kids to bed and hoped what I thought was happening wasn't. But at 2:30, I awoke to the most horrific pain and was full of panic. I woke Jack, and we discussed going to the hospital. As we debated, the pain grew stronger until I got sick--the last symptom I had been dreading. Moments later, his parents were at our house and we were on the way to the ER where the doctors immediately did a lumbar puncture and confirmed what we already knew. I had contracted viral meningitis for the second time in 3 years.

I have been home almost two days from the hospital, have had my check up and am on the road to recovery. The doctors tell me there is no need for alarm that I've had it twice, that I am just "lucky" and that I should once again have a full recovery. Of course, there are those thoughts in the back of my mind that I may be prone to this or that there is another reason this is happening. But for now, I am back and on the mend.

Mom had her lumpectomy yesterday (I know, what a week) and the doctors think that the cancer was very localized and feel totally confidant that they got it all. She will recover (albeit partially in Alaska, lucky dog) for about a month and then begin with 6 weeks of radiation.

Thanks to everyone for all there thoughts, prayers, cards, food, time and efforts. The outpouring that we have received this week has been humbling and a COMPLETE blessing. Jack has been my angel this week from chaufeurring the kids, being my rock and running the household (along with my cleaning-machine Granny). I am truly blessed.

Hopefully the future posts will bring much less serious news!




No comments: