Jan 10, 2011

1.10.11


On a day of so much beauty, calm and purity, I guess it was only fitting that this was our "first baby" Emmett's last day with us. He has been sick since Thanksgiving, but this past week, his condition deteriorated very rapidly. The vet diagnosed him with lymphoma a while back, but the meds seemed to be working until recently. We decided today that it was time and a family friend of Jack's put him peacefully down for us. It was a beautiful, pristine day that I will always remember and felt the irony as we buried him in the bitter cold and surrounded by the silence of the snow.

Emmett has been my steadfast companion for almost 13 years, and while his role in the family changed once the kids arrived, my love for him never did.

I will miss you, buddy, but am sooo happy for you in your new home tonight. Run fast, bark loud, and of course, howl your little head off! ;)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this just made me cry. Very well written, Elizabeth. I know the struggle with his illness hasn't been easy...and my heart hurts for you today.

Laura said...

We love you and will miss you Emmett! Go run and howl with Kodi and Karbin!