Nov 2, 2008

Anniversary in Highlands







So we're home from what had to be one of the most gorgeous fall weekends in Highlands, NC. And aside from one really stupid football game, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect trip. For our 9th anniversary, Jack and I hit the NC mountains solo, once again, thanks to a VERY generous Nanny and Papadad. Trying to top last year's trip to Flat Rock, we found a beautiful spot in Highlands called the Inn at Half Mile Farm. This place was awesome! A big, white inn on top of a grassy hill with a pond and several rustic cabins along the perimeter of this 14-acre little piece of heaven.

So after we wasted a very small amount of time on aforementioned stupid game, we sat on the porch at the inn sipping wine, nibbling hors devours, and watching the sunset behind the pond. A dip in the room hot tub and a little rest by the fireplace and I think both of us were sound asleep before 9! This morning, it was back to the inn for their famous breakfast. When the giant Belgian waffle was placed in front of me, I was a little disappointed. All these rave reviews for waffles??? Then, I tasted it. Oh my goodness! Made-from-scratch pumpkin waffles with homemade cinnamon whipped cream. I was not too embarrassed to ask for seconds!

Post-breakfast-binge we hit the mountains for some hiking and some waterfall hunting. I was bummed because my camera battery died before we got to the first site, but it turns out my phone's didn't do half bad. After a few miles of hiking and site-seeing, we went back to town for some shopping and strolling.





Later, it was down the mountain to Nanny and Papa's house for our shock back to reality. Actually it was not too bad as the kids were in great moods from having fun with their grandparents and the drive home was still beautiful.

Off to face the week ahead...

No comments: