Mar 7, 2008

Ridiculousness

This is my new favorite word. It describes the events of today just perfectly. Today was Max's actual first birthday. We are just going to pretend that it's tomorrow. The day started early. I took the day off to accomplish what I am getting ready to share. Mom and I took both kids to the Post Office today to get their Passports for our trip to the Turks and Caicos this summer. I had taken what I thought to be some pretty good steps to be prepared for this. I also had to renew my own and finally change my name. So I had filled out the applications online and purchsed a copy of my marriage license beforehand, Jack went and picked up copies of the kids' birth certificates and we met up on the other side of Athens. Both parents have to be present to get a child's Passport. So, all went fairly uneventful until we realized the keys had gotten locked in my car by mistake. Fortunately, Jack and I were in seperate cars, so he was able to run home and get the spare set for us. An hour later, after having an emergency potty trip in the secured area of the post office and counting post office boxes in the lobby area, we were headed home for the next part of the day. The madness continues. Saturday morning (TOMORROW) at 8 AM is registration for one of the only pre-k programs in our county. At one o'clock, we drove by, just being curious and cautious and there was someone in line already. Yes, I am talking about 19 hours early!!! It is just after 9 PM and we are already home before registration's even started. We got Kinsey's spot! At 6 o'clock, the deputy on guard at the school allowed us on the property. Mass chaos! Within 10 minutes, 75 of the 87 slots were already filled. Within 2 hours, all the slots were full--12 HOURS before registration even began! Due to the inclement weather, the director of the school opted NOT to make us camp out all night until 8 AM (even though all the slots had already been filled and we had already signed our names on "the list"). There is sooo much more to this crazy story, but I am so tired from this day, I believe the important thing is that we accomplished our goal and will enroll Kinsey in the morning. Thank goodness for the rain!!!

No comments: