Jul 8, 2011

Petoskey Stones

Another topic that deserves its own post, especially from the science teacher in me! :) I had heard of and researched these interesting rocks before our trip. They are rocks composed of fossilized coral that were formed during the Devonian period almost 400 million years ago and they are uniquely found in northern Michigan. So I knew before I went to Petoskey that I wanted to try to find one/some of these treasures, although I didn't know whether they were rare or easy to find. I ended up with some beginner's luck and found my first and best stone on my first hunt on the lake shore. We all ended up finding some others, beautiful and interesting, but none compared to my first find. I bought a rock polishing kit and Jack and the kids and I spent one afternoon on our porch making our beautiful stones shine. I must admit, I was pretty proud of my stone!



No comments: