Apr 25, 2010

Nashville 4/5ths Marathon

Julie and me at the starting line

Me at mile 15

Downtown post-race

At the Parthenon on Sunday



My character was tested this weekend as I prepared to run my second marathon in Nashville on Saturday. I'd trained hard and well. A week before the race, the weather forecast looked dismal. It only got worse. And worse. By marathon-eve, there were last minute changes and contingent plans in place with certainty of hail, damaging winds and even tornadoes in store. As it turned out, weather at the start was quite nice. Storms were headed in soon, so those who were running too slow were warned that they would be forced to divert to the half marathon course. I ran steady and kept a pace that allowed me to continue on to my full goal. However, 3 hours and 45 minutes into the race (mile 21 for me) there were some threatening lightning bolts and the race was called off. So, how did I respond? Did I hold my head up high and finish strong? No way! I was a big BABY who was so mad and so disappointed I couldn't stand it! I wallowed and indulged in a pity party. Oh, was I a stinker! Guess I learned a little bit about myself. Guess it wasn't very pretty. But, hey, life goes on. I was safe and that is what matters most...I guess! :P

While I was gone, Jack played SuperDad and took the kids to see Annie at the theater, to the strawberry patch and to church. At least one of us had character this weekend! ;)

No comments: